Saturday, September 8th.
I woke up this morning aching to go for a jog- so I did. Now I'm sitting down to work a bit more on the snow leopard research. Snow leopards are a rare/endangered large cat that are native to the Himalayan region and up into Mongolia and Russia. Snow leopard are at the top of the food chain and are therefore an indicator of the overall health of an ecosystem. Studying them and raising awareness of their plight helps to build support for broader conservation efforts affecting all of the plant and animal species downstream of them on the food chain.
Besides the snow leopard research, I'm also working on planning for a research and extension field station. The station would be for conducting environmental research, agricultural extension services, veterinary services, and medical services- all of which are critical to the health of the communities on the plateau.
While I'm working on those projects, Peter is working on a proposal to build several schools over the coming years and also on managing the Yak to School program.
----
After a few days in the city, I'm ready to head to the countryside- I take back anything I said to the contrary! However, we're waiting on a part for the pickup, so Peter and I will be in the city until late next week.