Tuesday, September 4, 2007

9/05 Xining morning

It's chilly in the mornings and evenings, very warm during the day, zero humidity. I sat on the rooftop balcony reading early this morning. There's construction going on everywhere, high-rises and cranes all around. Along with the jack hammers, heavy equipment, and traffic noise- music drifts up from a nearby school where the children are doing morning exercises. It's a bit smoggy/dusty/foggy today. A lot of that will burn off by mid-morning, but early on it's a very grey atmosphere.

Yesterday morning for breakfast we stepped out for dumplings: a towering platter fed three of us for about 60 cents- yum! Today I opted for a quick bowl of homemade granola and a liter of water. I was hoping to sneak in some language review before getting down to business, but we've got a meeting in 45 minutes with the academy of science, so that will have to wait.