Monday, September 8, 2008

Sunny Monday

Well, it started off cool and rainy. I got up at 6:30 this morning to catch the bus to the university for the first day of classes. The ride went quicker than expected, so I ducked into the welcoming, steamy warmth of a dumpling restaurant. It was packed inside with students in military fatigues. I squeezed into a small open space at a table by the door and ordered a bowl of fungus soup along with five meat-filled, bready dumplings steamed in a bamboo tray. From my perch on a little three-legged stool, I watched others trundle in out of the cold morning and wipe their glasses and blow their hands before spotting some classmate with a happy cry and tucking in to their own bowls of  rice porridge, fungus soup, and dumplings. I took my time- slowly waking and warming up with each bite. 

Outside again in the cool drizzle, I found someone to interpret my class schedule and lead me to the correct building. The computer lab where class was to begin at 8:30 was dark and locked at 8:20. I had no idea if I was at the right spot, but eventually a janitor came round and unlocked the doors. Around 8:40 one of the administrators showed up and explained that the teachers would arrive shortly and that no one had given them their schedules yet. I ended up in a small class with three others who had either studied or been using the language for two to four years. It was pretty rough, so I ended up staying for a beginner class being held at 10:30 which was a much better fit. There was also the added bonus that I got to sit by Shinay! 

After class, it was even colder than when we had left the house in the morning! My stomach had been growling through the whole second lecture, so rather than facing the long bus ride and walk home cold and empty, we hunted down a restaurant on a side street near campus. There we warmed up with many cups of hot tea and a heaping mound of fried rice along with eggplant cooked with garlic and ginger and tofu cooked with peppers and fungus. Feeling much better about the journey home, we stepped outside to find the day miraculously transformed from gray and cold to sunny and pleasant! 

Now that we're home, it's time to study study study.